This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
A heartbreak guarantee, an inevitable part of modern relationships or an opportunity to love differently and more deeply?
More and more couples experience periods of long distance relationships and time apart due to work and life balance challenges. How we manage the situation depends on many factors including our own belief in the love and the relationship.
LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIPS CHALLENGES
- Lack of trust
- Different expectations
- Different schedules
- Physical distance
- Feelings of sadness
- Negative comments and attitudes from others
FREE CBT & Mindfulness mini video series. Join the Stellar Wellness community!
I’ve been in a few long distance relationships! I seem to attract them! From different cities to living in different countries I’ve experienced the range of relationships, love and challenges. And all the emotions too.
I’ve learned so much about myself. How important clear, open communication is to the survival of a long distance relationship (and all relationships).
I learned how to manage the stress and sadness and longing that accompanies this situation.
I found having a light at the end of the tunnel helped the situation. When there was no end goal, no plan or clear way for us to be together at some point in the future, the relationship would die.
Most importantly I learned how to even enjoy being apart and maintain a connection in various ways. Sexy texts and skype dates? 🙂
In my marriage I feel having periods apart for example 1 or 2 weeks if we are apart for work, study or travel, this time away from each other reminds us of why we are together and what we love, miss about each other. It also emphasises our autonomy in our relationship and reminds us of the importance of freedom to honour our own souls. Me time is vital.
HOW TO MAKE A LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP WORK?
- Make a plan and agree on it: Eg. how many times a day you’ll contact each other and how?
- Clear expectations about what you both expect and accept
- Use technology!
- Make dates: Eg. visual skype dates
- Have a countdown till the next time you will meet
- Have a time limit on the relationship. How long will the relationship be a long distance relationship?
- Make time for intimacy: Eg: phone sex/ skype sex/ erotic text messages
- Open communication: Eg: talk openly about how you feel
- Share your daily schedules
- Send each other gifts or letters in the post
- Keep physical and visual reminders around you
- Keep physical meetings free and unplanned
- It’s too hard
- It’s not a real relationship
- It will never last
- Expressing your love apart isn’t the sameas in person
- It’s expensive
- It means having an open relationship
- It’s not a serious relationship
- It’s hard to be faithful
- The physical chemistry and connection fades
THE LAST THING YOU NEED TO KNOW….
No, only joking! Most couples go through periods of being apart. It helps to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and you will be together again. Mindset helps here!
Long distance relationships can be a wonderful opportunity to grow and develop your own interests and become more confident as an individual.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
Thank you for reading!
Have you been in a long distance relationship? Do you have any tips to add?